Alternate Titles: Wardrobe Mistress
In the "private service" of a large estate or household, a Laundress cares for and maintains all the household linens and personal clothing of the Principal(s) and the family. A Laundress is an expert by years of their experience who can identify fabrics and their specific care in washing, pressing, stain removal and general wardrobe maintenace.
Laundress's Range of Responsibilities
- Washing, steaming, mending of clothing
- Ironing clothing, linens as needed
- Organizes all household laundry, folds and places in family’s closet.
- Sorting and sending out linens and clothing to dry cleaners and inventories the items
- Seasonal organization of clothing and storing of clothing
- Cataloging designer and couture clothes and accessories
Compensation - Corporate Type Benefits, Perks
- Salary for a Laundress is based on the experience the Laundress brings and the duties included in the job description.
- They typically earn between $20 - $25 per hour, plus benefits