70% of Job Candidates Prefer Interviewing In-Person Versus Virtually
Over the last several years, we have all grown accustomed to conducting video interviews. Many companies have continued to interview by video even though they have returned to working in the office and can meet with candidates in person.
Whereas video interviews can offer a convenience factor for job seekers, they still overwhelmingly prefer an in-person interview to a virtual one, according to an October 2022 online survey of 2,019 adults conducted by The Harris Poll on behalf of the American Staffing Association Workforce Monitor.
The survey showed that 70% of all Americans prefer to interview for a new job in-person, compared to 17% who favor video calls, and only 9% who prefer audio-only calls.
Other Interesting Findings
The same survey also showed the following data on appearance-related topics for interviews, based on race:
- 74% of Hispanic Americans vs. 65% of their white counterparts feel the need to modify their appearance before taking part in job interviews.
- 33% of Black American males reported feeling the need to shave their facial hair before an interview, compared with 25% of Hispanic American males and 22% of white American males.
- 19% of Hispanic Americans and 17% of Black Americans felt the need to cover their tattoos, compared with 10% of white Americans.
- 18% of Hispanic Americans and 14% of Black Americans felt compelled to take out their body piercings, compared with 9% of white Americans.
“Job seekers may prefer to have the option to work remotely, but they still want to make their first impressions in person. Unfortunately, far too many (67%) feel the need to modify their normal appearance in some way prior to a job interview,” said Richard Wahlquist, President and CEO of the American Staffing Association. “To attract the best talent and create more inclusive workplaces, employers need to send a clear message to candidates that they are hiring based on skills and not physical appearance or dress codes from another era.”
- Staffing Industry Analysts, 2/16/2023, “70% of Americans favor in-person interview over virtual: ASA”.
- ASA Staffing Today, 2/16/2023, “Vast Majority of Americans Prefer In-Person Job Interviews vs. Virtual”.
We Can Help You Succeed
J. Kent Staffing can help you with your staffing needs or your job search. Reach out to us today to start the process.